Friday 31 May 2013

The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth...



Peace be with you all!
Today we hear the story of Mary's visit to Elizabeth so I thought I'd republish this post...one of our most viewed!!

In Today's Gospel we hear of the great moment when Mary went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. On seeing Mary, the child in Elizabeth's womb, St John the Baptist, leapt for joy. Why?It has been said that through the act of visiting her cousin, Mary was the first Evangelist and the first missionary, bringing the Joy of Christ to others. She carried inside her own body, Jesus and the significance of this was recognised not only by Elizabeth, who said ' How is it that the mother of my Lord comes to visit me?', but also by her child.

We hear Mary's words of humility and service...."My soul glorifies the Lord and my Spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, He has looked on his servant in her lowliness and therefore all ages we call me blessed. The Almighty has worked marvels for me...Holy His Name".

Mary takes no credit for the task she is about to undertake but inside points all the blessings and goodness back to God.

We too have the Lord dwelling inside us, do we recognise him? do we leap for joy? to we take him to others so that they can experience His presence and Joy?

As Capuchin Friars we, through our prayer / contemplation, fraternity and mission, try to recognise, respond to and bring the Love, Joy and Peace of Christ to the World. If you feel you are being asked by God to do likewise, please take some time to listen and respond. If you would like to talk to us or visit us, you will be welcomed, as Mary was welcomed, with great Joy.

Contact: Br Terence Harrington   (e-mail) capuchinvocation@gmail.com

Pax
Br Martin

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Can you tell me who the artist behind this image is? I'd like to use it in an advent blog series I'm going, but I want to make sure I cite the source properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/54758766/jump-for-joy-mary-and-elizabeth

    ReplyDelete